Sunday, October 30, 2005

Britain's Best Road?

If a directory of Britain Best Roads existed then naturally the A1 would be at the top. This is not just because of it's fortuitous name but also because, in my opinion, it is actually Britain's Best Road.

This afternoon I drove back to Scotland along the A1 and even though the journey is long, (5 hours) and in many ways tedious, there are a number of highlights the A1 offers to make the journey just that bit more palatable.

There is something romantic about the notion of a single road that goes from London To Edinburgh. All along the way there are signposts for places with wonderfully evocative names: Twizell, Brownieside (full of little girls in brownie uniforms standing along the verges), Coldstream, Guyzance (very confused french people who live in Northumberland), Cockle park, and possibly the best place name ever: Wide Open (who knows what THEY get up to).

The A1 offers two of my favourite pieces of art and architecture. The Angel of the North stands on a hill as the road sweeps down into Gateshead and Newcastle. The sculpture is absolutely beautiful. I always get a funny prickling sensation on the back of my neck when I see it.
Also one of my all time favourite buildings is best viewed at night from the A1. It may sound a weird choice but honestly, the Torness nuclear power stations is an absolute gem. This image is not the best but it gives you an idea.

The A1 also boasts a strange time travel anomaly. 32 miles from Edinburgh there is a sign proclaiming that you are 32 miles from Edinburgh. You carry on driving for 10 minutes, and lo and behold! Another sign proclaiming you are 32 Miles for Edinburgh! Did those 10 minutes of driving actually happen?

The other great thing about a long drive up the A1 for me is 5 hours of unadulterated BBC Radio 4. If Nick is in the car with me then it's Radio 5 and I'm not so happy, but I love him so it's a small price to pay. I know this one is not strictly A1 specific but it seems that only on solitary journeys to England and back do I have the opportunity to listen without any interruptions.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, I put it to you: the A1 - Britain's Best Road.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh but surely you're forgetting the legendary M62 ? The only road hard enough to risk legging it out of Lancashire into Yorkshire at 70 miles an hour, flying over Saddleworth Moor, rain behind you, careering either side of an unsuspecting farm left helplessly stranded in the middle, to come crashing down head first into Leeds?

You wouldn't try that on your own. Not likely.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

Well, yes, the M62 is quite a cool road. It is supposed to be Britain's highest Road, so maybe it does have some worthy credentials. Even so, it just doesn't have the variety that the A1 has. A bit of a one hit wonder?

1:54 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

Can I put in a bid for the M25, or perhaps the North Circular?

I admire their ability to strike fear in the hearts of weedy provincial drivers.

Also, may I note that the A1 at this end is pretty rubbish.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

The A1 is a fine road for sure. Too many speed cameras though. Apparantly the A87 was once voted the best road in Britain, due to nice scenery and few other cars.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters