Sunday, October 23, 2005

Christmas Gift anyone?

I have just spent a happy half hour perusing this years edition of 'The Original Gift Company' Catalogue. It was cheekily tucked inside the Saturday paper and has provided me with much entertainment.

My favourite items include:

Silver napkin hook on a necklace, £24.95
This is a gadget that holds a napkin up to your chin so you don't dribble on your bosom. It's cunningly disguised as a necklace, and it's monogrammed so you won't forget who you are. As the catalogue says, its 'an elegant and ingenious gift'


The Ultimate Party Glass, £9.95
This is a specially designed glass that has a sort of groove around it's middle so it can hang on a cord around your neck while at parties. According to the catalogue, 'Its bellied shape nestles into your body to prevent spills, keeping it safe while you eat, smoke and dance.' Naturally, it's monogrammed. Well, you wouldn't want your Ultimate Party Glass getting mixed up with all the other Ultimate Party Glasses at the next big bash you're at, would you?

History of the cricket bat wall plaque, £49.95.
This is a plaque with miniature models of crickets bats stuck on in a row. It's supplied with an information sheet, so it must be worth £50.








Motorised coin sorter, £29.95, batteries not included.
I'm not sure if I was becoming acclimatised to the crapness in the catalogue by this point, but when I saw this I thought -Hey, thats cool - then I realised that it is actually really shit.






Has anyone ever bought any monogrammed monstrosities from one of these catalogues? Confess and your sins will be forgiven.

3 Comments:

Blogger OboeJane said...

Love it. If I don't get a monogrammed party glass this year, I'll throw all my presents out in disgust.

Have you seen the American version of this catalogue, which is seat-pocket reading matter on American Airlines flights? It was entertaining enough to keep me going pretty much half-way across the Atlantic.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

We got my mum a motorised coin sorter for Xmas last year - looks exactly the same as that one...

She loves it!!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Original Gift Company sucks, up until Christmas eve they insist your items have been sent and will arrive a day or two late after Christmas at the most (this when they were originally ordered in november), then they say they're out of stock and never posted them to you in the first place. I could have spent the time waiting to find other gifts, but this company chose to fuck me around instead. Don't use them, seriously, they'll not even refund because they say they can deliver in a couple of weeks and the purchase is still valid.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters