Thursday, October 27, 2005

Lapse

I've tried super hard not to become a DIY bore. I think you'll agree that I have managed fairly successfully (leaking bathroom aside) to refrain from endlessly talking about our ongoing house renovation.

However tonight I feel like my life has been upheaved (does that word exist?) so much that I can't ignore it any longer.

Due to a weird arrangement of pipes the builders have had to remove our kitchen sink. We will be without it until next Tuesday. We put on a brave face and sat down to watch telly by peering through a gap in the enormous pile of kitchen carcasses that are stacked in the living room. After eating a delicious meal of baked potatoes microwaved behind the sofa and dished up on the stairs, we went to the bathroom to wash the plates in the basin. That was when we realised the boiler didn't work and so there was no hot water.

It was at this point my smile went a bit thin and I called the builders to find out why the boiler was broken. After talking it through, the builder saying 'oh shit' and using my excellent powers of deduction we worked out it was an electrical fault. I wiggled a socket and ping! The boiler worked.

So, I may be sinkless, have a cabinet mountain blocking the TV, and be dishing up microwaved food on the stairs but at least I can wash my hair tomorrow.

All is well with the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger OboeJane said...

The low points for me in our building saga were definitely around washing-up-in-the-bath-type-episodes.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel- judging by this you've definitely got to come to ours this weekend! See you then! x

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters