Thursday, November 10, 2005

City shorts? Fashion icon or disaster?

Now here's a post for the girls. Boys, you can skip this bit if you like.

I was driving back to the office this lunchtime after spending a FREEZING morning on a building site, fingers blue and toes like ice cubes. As I waited in my car at a pelican crossing, I saw a girl in the most bizarre outfit. She had lovely hair, a chocolate brown jacket, nicely cut, great boots, and - wait for it - tweed city shorts.

Just what is going on here? a) it's November, it's Scotland, it's blowing a gale and it's 4 degrees. b) They just looked silly. There was about 6 inches of white knobbly knee showing above the boots and below the shorts. The tweed had a crisply pressed crease down the front, like a good pair of smart trousers would have, but these were SHORTS!!!

I am not, and never will be, the most fashionable or fashion conscious girl in the world. Not getting on this particular fashion band wagon does not bother me at all. I find it incredible that anyone can be so desperate to feel 'in fashion' as to put all aesthetic and practical notions to one side and actually spend their hard earned cash on something so atrocious.

Do any of you girls have a pair? If so what do you wear them with? Boys, I bet you any money you've read this post with fascination, just because I told you not too. You're so predictable.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't be seen dead in them. Mainly because everyone else would laugh just as you did! Although I freely admit to not following fashion trends as a general rule..what is with all the velvet and lace high neck stuff in the shops at the mo? Odd. And don't get me started on denim waistcoats. Blurgh. (Hope you haven't bought one :-))

2:14 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

not on your nelly

3:21 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

This is most bizarre. I was contemplating a similar post myself but had not got round to it. There has been a rash of such legwear in my office.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters