Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Weird morning

After all the angry phone calls and recriminations from the builder, this morning's meeting with the guy I am accused of insulting was very strange indeed.

Door bell rings
Nick: Hi, how are you?
Builder: Fine thanks! So... (looks round the half finished kitchen) the plumber will be in here later, the joiner will build the new wall today, I'll get the oven going, the hob in, the plaster is arranged for Thursday etc etc etc
Me: (confused) look, I just wanted to apologise for any misunderstandings we've had. We are really happy with your work, we just wanted to talk about progress etc etc
Builder: Och no no no, everythings fine, I was just having a bad day. I just found out my Mum is dying of Cancer. Sorry for all the hassles.

Nick and I were lost for words. When he left we just looked at each other, mouths hanging open, palms upwards, and shoulders in a permanent shrug. I never saw that one coming - we were all prepared for a big showdown.

It seems bizarre that they can behave like that to me, be so rude and really upset me, and then act like it was nothing. I'm sorry about his Mum, and I'm grateful they seem to be pushing the job on, but I have to wonder what is really going on. Are they going to fly off the handle at any like request I have?

I am not looking forward to telling them I will be withholding 10% to make sure they fix any defects...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters