Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Another top joke from the advent calendar

My oh my, we had another excellent joke from the office maltesers advent calendar today:

Why does Santa come down the chimney?

Because it soots him.


The problem with this joke is that it only works if you are Scottish or Irish. You see, in the Scots accent 'soots' rhymes with 'suits' but I (in my quaint Scunthorpe accent) would say 'sut' for soot and 'sooot' for suit, thus rendering the joke pathetically meaningless.

Needless to say this brought about a long discussion on accents. The best example we found were the 4 words:

poor
pour
paw
pure


If you are Scottish or Irish then all these 4 words are distinct from each other in the way you say them. English people make little or no distinction between the first 3 words, for which I was ridiculed mercilessly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters