Friday, December 16, 2005

Colleague collection etiquette

oooh I struggle in this complicated world. Following from my query regarding workmen etiquette (Monday 5th Decmber) I am now concerned that I may be about to commit a faux pas at work.

Now, here's the thing. In the past fortnight 2 members of staff have had babies, and one is leaving. We had a collection for the girl who had the baby and I gave a fiver. I like her alot and she did actually give birth, an unpleasant experience I am led to believe.

I gave £2 to the guy who is leaving and instantly felt mean. I like him too, but he didn't go through the pain of childbirth, doesn't have to spend every spare penny on nappies, and is probably getting a hefty payrise at his new job.

The other baby was born to a guy in the office. He is neither leaving, nor went though the pain of childbirth, but WILL have to buy nappies. What should I give to him?

It's difficult being a modern woman in the working world. I should be at home baking cookies, hoovering, and encouraging Junior to practice the piano.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christian Briddon said...

Having been in the position of neither leaving work nor going though the pain of childbirth, but haveing to buy nappies, I think you should give generously. :-)

Victoria says that childbirth is not all that bad and you have to think of the poor old dad.

You take a couple of week holiday to be with your wife and new baby (I say holiday as paternity pay is about £100 per week so who can afford to take it) and then you have to go back to work and leave your little bundle of joy at home. It's a heartbreaker I can tell you.

Nobody ever thinks of daddy (sniffle).

8:54 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I take an equal amount of money from each collection that comes my way at work.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

now thats a GOOD idea

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters