Thursday, January 26, 2006

Pharmacological mix-up

Yesterday I bought some pain relieving gel for a mouth ulcer. It's called Anbesol. In my opinion this is a terrible name. It's far, far to close to Anusol, a common pile cream.

That really is a mistake you'd want to avoid when reaching into the depths of your bathroom cabinet. The thought of putting Anusol in your mouth is awful, topped only by the thought of putting Anbesol on your arse. Brings tears to my eyes.

*update*
I would hasten to point out that I have NOT actually made this mistake

*further update*
The instructions on the Anbesol tube say 'no more than 4 applications a day' and yet the effects only last for 15 minutes. What are you so supposed to do for the other 23 hours a day? Plus the taste really doesn't go well with chocolate birthday cake.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

When I was plagued by mouth ulcers as a kid, my doctor would prescribe me this stuff - Adcortyl in Orabase - otherwise known as Triamcinolone Acetonide in Oromucosal Paste.
It worked a trick, and there is a reduced danger of mixing it up with arse related remidies.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

And by trick, I meant treat. Obviously.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

yes, I phoned my Dad (Pharmasist at Scunthorpe general hospital) and he posted me a tube of that stuff. God bless the NHS - personal drug posting service at it's best!

You're right, it works really well, even though it does stick you mouth and tongue together in a rather unpleasant manner

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you put a dab of the adcortyl stuff on before you go to bed you'll wake up with a crusty dribble down the side of your face.
Or is that just me?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Rach said...

well, not a crusty dribble down my face, but a definite crust along my gums. I must sleep with my mouth shut.

It's truly disgsuting stuff.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aye, but it works much better than anbesol, rinstead etc. and indeed better than anusol

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters