Saturday, January 07, 2006

Reprive for january

Here's me moaning about January being bleak, and yet I totally forgot: THE DARTS!

Oh how marvellous this sporting televisual feast is! Night after night of match-fit althetes fighting it out on the smoke filled stage at the Lakeside Country Club, hoping to become the Embassy World Darts Champion. I love it!

I love everything about it: I love the polyester shirts with sponser's slogans emblazed on the back. (nike, adidas? - No - John Smiths, naturally) I love the player's nicknames: Tony 'Silverback' West, Phil 'The Power' Taylor, Andy 'The Viking' Fordham to name a few. I love the commentators: Bobby George festooned with massive rings and gold chains, spouting forth his darting wisdom.

One day I'll go there. I'll get pissed sitting at a long table, wear a jester hat and wave a bit of A4 paper with '180' scrawled on it. It's a serious sport that definitely should be allowed in the the London Olympics, without a shred of doubt.

Game on...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be pedantic... It's Tony 'Silverback' O'Shea & Tony 'Triple T' West. As you will no doubt be aware, the pair met in this year's first round with the Stockport Slinger - an experimental pseudonym dropped in favour of the simian-inspired 'Silverback' - coming out on top. Other great monikers include Martin 'Wolfie' Adams & Co 'The Matchstick' Stompe. However, the classiest belongs to Ted 'The Count' Hankey, who holds that rare sporting distinction... a surname funnier than his nickname.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Rach said...

gosh, sorry anonymous, must get my darting trivia correct!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters