Monday, January 30, 2006

Startling discovery

Yesterday I discovered that, despite all previous beliefs to the contrary, Black Cherry Yoghurt is quite nice.

I have been actively avoiding said yogurt for most of my life, but in the spirit of adventure I gave it another chance. I am now wondering what else I think I don't like but actually do. This is my list:

'Foods to try again once reaching adulthood'

1) Chicken supreme. (blueugh, this comes top because I HATED this as a child.I once threw up in a plate of it at infants school. The teacher couldn't tell the difference between the chicken supreme and my vomit so made me eat it, definite child cruelty. This might be a tough one psychologically, but in light of my cherry yoghurt discovery I'm prepared to give it one last chance)

2) Marmite mini cheddars. I like mini cheddars but not the marmite ones. At least I think I don't like them. I might do. Can you still buy them?

3) cauliflower Cheese. God, we used to have this for tea every week. It was the tough green bits I hated the most. Sorry Mum, I can now appreciate you were trying your best to feed a family of 5 healthily and economically, but it was truly gross.

4) Baked beans. Never liked them. dunno why. Avoided at all costs.

5) Liver. It's the texture and the taste. Disgusting. I have actually tried liver again quite recently and it was horrible so I'm not putting myself through any more torture.

I'm not a very fussy eater really; I'll eat most stuff when put in front of me. The only exceptions would be the Chicken supreme and liver. I would refuse those 2 dishes even if I was having dinner with the Queen.

Or maybe I'd make another startling discovery...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the cauliflower cheese comment! I still can't face it after having it practically every day as a child... Yuk!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

I know. And can you remember the risotto Mum used to make? It was always bright orange and whatever she put in it always tasted the same.

I thought I didn't like risotto at all until I had proper risotto done with the correct rice and without the mystery orange ingredient.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I'd forgotten about that. She seems to have improved her risotto since then - it's actually alright now. You know mum anyway- we never have the same meal twice!

1:54 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

Everyone's allowed a couple of "rather chew tinfoil than eat..." foods. Beyond that is unecessary fuss and nonsense.

Don't bother trying baked beans. Everyone knows they are the devil's work.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

mushrooms. never ever ever.

8:03 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

Oh dear, another mushrooms tragedy. Like my sister (who believes that mushrooms and slugs share more than a passing textural resemblence), you are missing out on some of the most wonderful culinary experiences.

But quite apart from that, mushrooms are a poor choice to detest: in all the meals I've taken at the palace, her maj has never yet served baked beans. You might not be so lucky with mushrooms - I hear Brenda's partial to the odd Shiitake

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters