Friday, February 17, 2006

Polite greeting or insult?

Today, at the supermarket checkout, the cashier said to me 'Hiya Hen'. I was a bit taken aback because people don't usually address me as 'Hen'.

It started me wondering how often I unwittingly offend or confuse people with my particular colloquialisms.

For ages I didn't realise that the people in my office had never heard the phrase 'Get In'. I use it all the time to mean 'nice one'. Unfortunately my colleagues were a bit confused, understanding it in a more sexual sense, consequently worrying about my seemingly perverted views on certain topics of discussion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christian Briddon said...

I believe that 'hen' is the same as 'luv' in Sheffield.

I'm afraid I'm not up on Scunthorpe versions of the above.

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Duck" or "chicken" are the ones that concern me too.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hen is scottish, it is a ploite/friendly term for a women

In yorkshire we'd say hello love in Scotland you say hello hen.
I have scottish aquatences

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters