Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Literary disappointment

I recently read The Time traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I loved it - it was brilliant and funny and sad and weird, although perhaps a bit long.

Towards the end if the book the narrative suddenly jumped - like I had turned 2 pages at once. I was bemused. I checked the page numbers and 50 pages were missing. I carried on reading and the story kind of sorted itself out, although I had to fill in a few blanks for myself.

A bit further on in the book the same 50 pages repeated themselves, not the missing pages - they never appeared at all, but the 50 that I had jumped to earlier.

Given the subject of the book, time traveling, and the nature of the story (the main character jumps about in time uncontrollably) I was unsure whether this was a publishing error or a clever twist by the author. I feel too shy to take the book back to the shop and demand a refund in case they say 'it's supposed to be like that, you ignorant dim-wit'.

Has anyone else read this book? Did you suffer the same nagging doubt?

P.S. I noticed the paperback version is now half price on Amazon. Is this due to the missing pages mistake?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently about 2/3rds of the way through and really enjoying it. You can have my copy at the weekend as I'll probably have finished it by then. So far I haven't noticed any pages missing / repeated. I'll let you know. Sounds like you just have a duff copy. That happened to me when I was about 15 and a book I bought was half one book and half another. Never actually worked out what happened in either of them!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Jane, yes please can we borrow it?!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters