Monday, June 19, 2006

Vegetable progress 5

Yesterday we harvested our first new potatoes, which were absolutely delicious. The taste and texture of them was definitely a big step up from supermarket spuds. We pulled them a bit early and they were a quite small, so were leaving the rest of the plants to bulk up a bit more.

The onions are doing nicely, as are the carrots and parsnips. There are also a fair few strawberries beginning to form too.

I'm a bit worried about the beans as they seem to be the favourite of the snails. I have lost all but 2 of my plants. My tomatoes are not looking very good either. A bit sad and leggy. The blueberry bush got seriously dried out while we were away and may never recover. Still, I wasn't expecting 100% success in my first year!

As were lying in bed last night, just dropping off to sleep, Nick said to me 'Isn't it amazing. You put one potato in the ground, wait a bit, and you end up with 10 potatoes.'

He's right. It is amazing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

So, hang on, where did the first ever potato come from?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Christian Briddon said...

It came from the same place as the first chicken.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters