Monday, August 07, 2006

More chicken news

Thank you all for your suggestions! There are 2 names that are out in the lead currently, Nick favours one and I favour the other, so we'll see who is the most stubborn, or which name suits the hen better when it arrives home.

News on the chicken acquisition front:

We went off the meet the rather eccentric Chicken Man on Saturday to choose our hens. We had hoped to get them home that day but the hen house still hasn't arrived :-( We went anyway and he has reserved them for us. Here is his website, with the birds he sells that are good egg layers.

We are getting an Amber rocket, a Partridge brown (lays white eggs which is Nicks main priority) and a speckled one. Apparently these 3 hybrid breeds are very placid and non-flighty, so should be good for us novices to deal with. They are about 20 weeks old so are just beginning to lay.

A slight mishap occurred on the way to the Chicken man. Nick filled our diesel car up with unleaded petrol. He realised quite quickly as the car began jerking and he pulled over. We had to be towed away by the AA and have the engine pumped out at garage.

It was quite an expensive morning as you can imagine. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't me that did it. I was very understanding and forgiving, but have stored it away as ammunition for the next time I do something stupid. He he he.

10 Comments:

Blogger OboeJane said...

A partner at work was telling me the other day about how he'd done just that. He said that to repair the damage had cost £6,000. I tried to look sympathetic whilst at the same time choking back my disbelief - I mean, the value of all the cars I've owned to date is probably less than £6,000. (Ok, excluding the latest one)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that there were websites you can buy chickens from.
I'm thinking April Fool's Day jape of the century when Christian opens up a strange parcel on his doorstep!
I would ditch the speckled one. Clearly you need a Columbian Comet. You could call it Pablo, or Cocaine (which really would get the neighbours talking when you call it).

4:05 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

I've seen a few comments now on you perplexing the neighbours by calling your hens strange names. Precisely how much calling does one need to do for chickens? I mean, it's hardly like getting a cat to come in for the night, is it?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Christian Briddon said...

If Phill sends me a chicken in the post then I will bring him a chicken sandwich for lunch the next day. :-)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

Jane little do you realise the complexity of looking after chickens. a whole new world is opening up to me. They do actually come running to you when they see you becasue they are highly motivated by their stomachs, but you don't have to put them away at night. They will go to roost all by themselves when it gets dark (aaahhh) You just have to shut the pophole to make sure the fox doesn't get them!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Christian, do you have the balls to carry that through?

If they irritate us and we change the plans for their use, we might need you.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I trust you'll be getting one of these automatic night-time henhouse door closers? http://www.hen-house.co.uk/html/accessories.html

2:11 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

Phil... (suspicious eyes) have you been browsing through the chicken web sites??? Don't tell me you're tempted to equip yourself with a couple of feathered friends as well?

8:27 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Gosh, was that a bloke then, that did that really daft thing? I find that ever so hard to beleive, I mean, if it was a girl I'd be saying "Oh, typical, daft bint...!" but a bloke? really? But a real live testosterone bloke put the WRONG FUEL in the car? I'm staggered, really staggered!!!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

You have to name the speckled one 'pinta'.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters