Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Count down

Today our chickens are exactly 24 weeks old. In the chicken world this would be described as POL - Point of lay. We are now checking the nest box daily, hoping to discover our very first egg. However, some hens are late developers, and the long nights and cold temperatures are both factors that could delay egg production.

Nick is much more impatient than me. He gives the girls pep-talks most days, and interprets every odd move the chickens make as a sign that there are rumblings afoot. Last week he resorted to showing the girls an egg in one hand and a chicken fillet in the other and told them to hurry up and make their choice. 'Which is it to be girls? eh? Eggs or the pot?' They just ignored him and carried on eating.

Maybe it's because I am female, like my hens, so I am kind of sympathising with their reluctance to lay. Starting to lay will be their transition into woman-hood, and I remember that time as a slightly confusing and traumatic time. I want to protect my beloved chicks from all that. Also, the thought of having to squeeze out such a large egg from such a small little bottom makes my eyes water. And once they start laying they will do that nearly everyday for the next 3 or 4 years! Ouch!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Author said...

I'm sure that when the eggs finally do arrive they will be the most tasty, delicious eggs ever!!! Please be patient though...there is nothing worse than people trying to hurry you up when you are about to give birth!!!! They may be a bit late going into the onset of puberty...but all good things come to those who wait!!! I look forward to the results of the very first egg tasting - will it be poached, scrambled, fried or boiled?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

we have decided to hard boil it. That way we can cut it in half equally, and we both get a taste!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters