Thursday, December 21, 2006

Speed quilting

I decided 4 months ago to make my Parents a quilt for Christmas. December seemed a long way off, leaving me plenty of time to construct it.

Needless to say, Quilts take a ridiculously long time to make, and this one is ridiculously large. It is 2.5m x 2.3m and is very heavy and bulky to sew. I have been up until 11.00 every night this week trying to finish the damned thing.

This is largely my own fault because up until 4 weeks ago I was on target for completing in time. Then I decided to embellish it further with a wide border of tiny quilted circles. They look great but take hours to do, especially when you work for 3 hours, realise that you've forgotten to set up the machine properly, and have to unpick everything. I would say I have spent over 20 hours on sewing the circles alone, and well over 100 hours on the quilt as a whole.

I have oh so nearly finished - just the binding around the edge to sew on. Probably just another 2 or 3 hours and I can put it under the tree. My parents had better appreciate it.

I will post photos of my quilts after Christmas because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters