Tuesday, January 09, 2007

and while I'm at it...

I may as well tell you my other favourite egg based recipe, and although it's not very healthy it is yummy and simple.

Rachel's French toast.

On a dinner plate break an egg and mix it up a bit with a fork.
Add a slosh of milk and a grating of pepper. Mix a bit more.
Dunk in two slices of white bread until coated and all the eggy mixture has been soaked up.
In a frying pan gently heat up a good slug of olive oil. Some people like to use butter but I like olive oil. It's probably not correct but I don't care.
Fry very slowly on both sides until it's golden brown and starting to go crispy.
Serve with a dollop of tomato ketchup, or bacon and maple syrup.

We had alot of french toast in New York. It wasn't the same as mine - they use much thicker bread and don't cook it as much so it's softer. I like both types.

When I was young French toast was a special breakfast treat Mum made us before exams to keep our brains going. I attribute my academic success wholly to this wonder food.

3 Comments:

Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Have your hens laid you any eggs yet? The best poached egg you will ever have will be with one of your own eggs - or so my husband tells me as I don't actually like eggs! Some people think it's totally weird that I keep hens and don't eat eggs but I do love french toast, made exactly like yours (including the olive oil!). Try it with some cheese melted in the middle and with chilli dipping sauce, very yummy. I also make loads of yummy cakes so that totally makes up for it!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

You can rest assured that when the lazy arses lay us an egg you will know about it! It will be a great day.

Frankly they are too busy eating me out of house and home, digging up my garden and pooing to be bothered to lay. (plus it's still quite dark and cold, si I'll forgive them)

What kind of hens to you have?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

We have a selection! We started with 5 and now have 15, cuckoo marans, welsummers, light sussex, rhode Island reds, blue laced wyandotte bantams and red wyandotte bantams, a welsummer cockerel called William, 2 chinese white geese and a trio of apricot call ducks! I'm not allowed to get any more but I'm going to have a go at hatching some this year, so if you want any more.......?!

I'm sure yours will start laying soon, just keep threatening to have them for dinner and they'll soon start laying!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters