Monday, February 19, 2007

Buy one get one free?

I'm not normally pedantic or argumentative but today I made an exception.

I was in Au Naturel at lunchtime. I bought some pretty boxes. They were buy-one-get-one-free, so I put two identical £2 boxes and four identical £1.50 boxes in my basket. I calculated that this would come to £5. (£2 + £1.50 + £1.50)

I went to the till. She scanned the barcodes. It came up on the computer as £5.50. Slightly irked I asked her if there was a mistake, and that I thought it should come to a fiver. She was, bless her, a bit thick, and couldn't add it up in her head, so she re-scanned them. The she turned the computer screen to show me that the correct total was indeed £5.50.

A queue was forming behind me but I didn't care. She explained that it was BOGOF and that the cheapest item was free. Therefore I had to pay £2 for both bigger boxes, then I would get 2 of the £1.50 boxes free, plus pay £1.50 for the third box and get the last £1.50 box free, bringing the total to £5.50.

This wasn't fair I said. If I was buying two identical £2 boxes, then one of them should be free, surely? She started to look a bit harassed, but I wasn't leaving without my 50p, goddammit. She shrugged and looked a bit hopeless.

'Right' I said. 'I just want to buy these two £2 boxes please', taking the other 4 off the counter. She scanned them in, I handed over a £2 coin, and she put them in bag. 'Now I want these 4 boxes please'. She scanned the second batch in and I handed over 3 £1 coins. She looked confused. I looked smug. The people behind me in the queue looked pissed off. I spend my hard earned 50p on a bun from the bakery on the way back to work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stand up for your consumer rights I say. Go girl!

9:49 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Oooh good for you. It's not about the queue behind you, or the daftness of the serving girl (how difficult is mental arithmetic these days?) it's about the goddam principle of the thing. I echo Hotphil when I say "Go Girl". Victor Meldrew would have counted you as a hero!!!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Vintage to Victorian said...

Well done! I wonder how many more in the queue followed your example!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

You go girl, I'd have done exactly the same!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters