Thursday, February 15, 2007

New word.

I have learnt a new word: Anosmic.

This, according to my boss who suffers from the complaint, is the inability to smell. He feels very strongly that the medical profession do not take anosmia seriously enough. He is probably right. If he couldn't see, or hear, or feel, they would help him, but somehow not being able to smell is not seen as a disadvantage.

My Grandfather can't smell, and never has been able to. He always maintains that it was an advantage in his career. He was a GP and often had to go on house-calls to visit smelly poorly people. He felt very glad that he was impervious to the smell of leaking pus and gangrenous wounds.

I suspect that Nick wished he was anosmic, especially when I have been eating butternut squash soup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Ooh, I shall tell my Jack Bauer of this new word, he's always complaining when my botty burps get a bit ripe! Lamb seems to be doing it for me these days!
Sorry that was a bit too much information!

5:45 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

I bought nice bathroom smellies for Glenn's gran once, before I discovered that she had no sense of smell. She must have been thrilled with them.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

The fact that there are people in the world unable to experience the unadulterated aphrodisiacal pleasure that ensues from smelling Truffle Oil saddens me.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Vintage to Victorian said...

A friend of mine can smell everything but freesias which is an awful shame to my mind.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters