Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chicken news

I forgot to tell you, Margo has been laying eggs! Lovely chocolate brown beauties.

We had a bit of a troubled start. The first egg must have taken her by surprise because I found it in the run. At first I thought it was a potato. It was covered in mud and was broken by the hens standing on it.

The second egg also took her by surprise. I actually saw her lay it. She just sat down in the run looking confused. When she stood up she began squarking loudly so I went to look and there was a perfect brown egg. Such was my delight I dropped it on the way back to the kitchen. I felt all guilty about that.

By the third egg she had got the hang of it and laid it in the nest like a good obedient hen.

We are now getting a surplus of eggs and it is lovely to give them away to neighbours and friends. (Neighbours get first dibbs because they have to put up with the clucking and squarking that goes on early in the mornings) One evening last week I got home and found 5 eggs in the nest! I must have forgotten to look the day before and they had built up a little clutch.

It's great now that spring is round the corner. Lots of new grass for the hens to eat, and the lighter evenings mean I get to see them briefly before they go to bed at about 5.30pm

For a full breakdown of egg production, click here for Nick's (rather geeky) egg spreadsheet. It's not going to be long before our eggs are coming in at under £5 each!

2 Comments:

Blogger Primrose Hill said...

The best bit about having hens is collecting the eggs, especially when they are in an array of colours! We got our first goose egg yesterday, very exciting. We've got a glutt of eggs at the moment as Gregg has just started a new job this week and hasn't quite plucked up the courage to take any eggs in to work yet! So I shall just have to bake a couple of cakes tonight instead, ooh poor me!!! Need to get a sign made for on the gate saying "eggs for sale"!!
L x

3:11 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Margo needs to pull her socks up a bit and catch the other ladies up. Come on Margo!!!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters