Thursday, March 29, 2007

Chicken News

Well well, it seems that the system of bartering and neighbourly good deeds are still alive and well.

Last week I went round to our neighbours to give them a box of eggs. I feel a bit sorry for them because they bear the brunt of the early morning squarking that emanates from the hens in our back garden, so I gave them the eggs to keep them sweet.

Anyway, yesterday the door bell rang and there was Elke, returning the egg box, and thrusting a freshly baked and still warm loaf of bread into my hands! If that's the deal then I am very happy! Delicious bread and all I have to do is peer in the nest box periodically. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You gotta get yourself some chickens man!

1 Comments:

Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Hi Rach!
Glad to see the chickens are earning their keep, it's a lovely way of life isn't it?
So far we have used eggs for battering with our neighbours for the following things:
- offcuts of wood for kindling from our neighbour that has his own eco-building business.
- manure and soil from our farmer up the road.
- this is the worst one, another neighbour kindly disposed of a mink we'd caught, so we gave him some eggs and jam!
Ooh the joys of living the country life! Enjoy your weekend and thanks for the plug on the pottery, much appreciated!
L xx

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters