Thursday, March 01, 2007

fireplace design disaster

In my job I often come across brochures for things that make my mind boggle. Take the designs for this fireplace:



I mean, someone actually sat down one day and thought - 'I know, I think I'll draw a fireplace with a miniature fibre glass stone-henge stuffed in it.' I could forgive them that bit, but to then continue to the next stage of thinking 'hmm yes - that looks good, I think I'll get these manufactured' is the amazing part. Maybe they had been watching the Spinal Tap movie.

This one is just as hideous, with a fake bit of Grecian column wedged in and two jets of flames spurting out at a bizarre angle. Who buys these things?

4 Comments:

Blogger OboeJane said...

Do you think it would look better in Dobly?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

what you have to remember is that there is a fine line between clever and stupid

8:12 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

I once went into a house in Dore, Sheffield and the chap it belonged to was a scrap metal dealer. His house was full of kitsch rubbish like that. Leopard prints, and lots of gold cherubs...I have a feeling he would have loved those fireplaces. There's obviously a market for them or they wouldn'e be being manufactured!!!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and also - did no-one ever tell the designers that stone DOES NOT BURN!!!! Even fake stone. The more I look at those images the more I get cross.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters