Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fish: take cover!

Earlier this year, Nick bullied/persuaded Tim (his best man) into learning to scuba dive. Tim has been learning with Divemaster Scuba, who are the same people that I learnt with 3 years ago.

This weekend Tim will be sampling the murky delights of Stoney Cove, an old gravel pit near Leicester. You wouldn’t want to dive there for fun because it is freezing cold and after an hour the bottom is all churned up by novice divers, so you can’t see more than a metre in front of you. Mind you, that really doesn’t matter because the only thing to look at down there are brown rocks, and the odd Cray fish. If you are lucky you might bump into some of the scrap boats they have thrown in to try and make it a bit more interesting.

I have done 8 dives in Stoney cove, 4 on my Open Water course and 4 on the Advanced Scuba Diving course. The last 4 were pretty miserable. I did them in February and the water on the first dive was just 4 degrees. Unfortunately my hired dry-suit leaked and I got so cold that I couldn’t pull myself out of the water, and I had gone blue. They had to wrap me in a duvet and feed me fried egg sandwiches. I still went in again in the afternoon, after they had mended my dry suit with a puncture repair kit and given me more jumpers to wear underneath. Luckily the water had warmed up to a toasty 6 degrees by then.

But I digress. I am telling you this because Nick, Tim and I are going off on a jolly jaunt in 3 weeks to the Red Sea. Tim will have finished his Open Water Course. Lucky for him he will do his Advanced course in Egypt, (rather than in Stoney Cove) on the first 3 days of the holiday. Then we will all dive together for the rest of the week.

I am excited. It wasn’t long since Nick and I were last diving in the red sea. There are some snaps here. Our last trip was a liveaboard – a full week on a boat, sailing overnight to far off dive sites, and doing up to 4 dives a day. It was very full-on and exhausting, and to be frank, quite expensive. This time we are staying in a resort and will be going out on a boat everyday, doing 2 dives a day. We are going with this company. I think the prices are absolutely bargainous.

For me, Scuba diving is about as perfect as a holiday could be. I’m not a sunbathey type person. I like activity interspersed with afternoon naps. Diving fits this profile perfectly! I really hope Tim likes it as much as we do. So, Phil, Jane, Chris and Liv – are you going to learn next?

5 Comments:

Blogger Angel Jem said...

Hello, Rach! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog & comment... I'll be back & see you again, I hope!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Hi Rach!
God, you're a busy girl, where do you get all the time to do all these hobbies? You're next trip sounds fab. I've never done scuba diving but I did go snorkling when we were in Bali (honeymoon). I wasn't too sure at first but once I was swimming through all the little fishies you couldn't get me out of the water! Might try scuba diving one day.
L x

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The secret to having lots of time to devote to hobbies is to completely ignore the boring chores of life.

This drives Nick mad. He is constantly tidying up after me, and hanging out the washing, and taking the bins out etc etc.

I try but life seems to short to do housework

10:25 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

I can't equalize - I tried an introduction to scuba diving for one day, but it seems that lots of ear infections/gromet operations as a child have made it too hard for me to equalize. Which shouldn't necessarily be the case - lots of people who had gromets can scuba dive. So I'm afraid I won't be joining you in the red sea anytime soon :(

11:49 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'd like to scuba dive, but the thing is there's a load of stuff higher up in my list of things that I want to do, so I doubt I'll ever get round to it.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters