Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Race for Life

Claire and I have decided to attempt to run the 5K Race for Life.

I stress the word attempt. The word run should also be interchangeable with stagger as I am a pathetic sportswoman and hopeless runner.

Lets be frank here. I am not built for running. My legs splay out to the side like a duck. My boobs oscillate between my chin and my waist unless restrained by a severe scaffolding-like sports bra. My lungs burn, my face beams red, my heart goes like the clappers and my legs wilt like cut wild flowers. The extra 2 stone in weight I have so carefully nurtured begins to feel like 10 stone of loft insulation.

So, you see, attempting to run 5 kilometers is no easy task. Full of good intentions I began my first training session last night. I began with walking 1 minute, running 1 minute, x 12. Amazingly I managed this quite comfortably. I even ran a few seconds more occasionally when passing a dog walker, just to keep up appearances.

Unfortunately any weight loss advantage of my efforts last night were immediately countermanded by the enormous meal we ate at bar leo to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Tomorrow I intend to walk 1 minute, run 2 minutes x 6, and not die.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Wyman said...

Good for you - I'm doing it too in Leeds. Though I may not run the whole distance: last time I contented myself with walking the first bit, then got bored and ran! It is such a good cause though it's worth doing even if you chicken out and walk part of the way (this is allowed - a lot of the people I was with walked the whole distance!)

Thanks for the advice on Bixy (the leftovers can be a problem but at least he is willing to go out more these days) and for the comments on the previous post. Angelina is I think a polyester fibre: currently I'm putting together a how-to piece - delayed by visit to dentist (2(!) extraction which then got infected) - my own fault plus difficulty of getting registered with a dentist I could bear to face - this one does at least have nice blue eyes which makes the process more tolerable!)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Juliann in WA said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Noah's ark blocks. As to the 5K - your plan for the run/walk training is perfect. That is how I began and I was able to do the 5k without embarressing myself. I even went on to do a 12K! Is this run for a charity?

1:33 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

You'll be dandy. Good luck. Given our somewhat similar physiques, I would recommend:

(a) boodydoo.co.uk - order a couple to try and then return the ones that don't work for you. It's a great service.

(b) a little crop top (of the type that skinny/boobless people wear) as extra wobble protection.

8:46 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Excellent my dear. I'm looking for a 5k near here to run in about a month or so whne my training has brought me this far. Alas, I do not have the boob problem - only being blessed with teeny weeny baps. However my running top has a built in bra which grips like a vice - don't know if that would work for you? I also have them for riding - as even little boobies bounce a bit when doing sitting trot!!!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey fellow racer! I'm doing the one in Stirling on June 10th. What about you? I'm a walker at the moment but we shall see what happens on the day. Been walking 3 miles 4 times a week so I'm thinking I'll be ok. Hows sponsorship going?
Charlotte

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters