Monday, October 01, 2007

Scottish Quilt Championship shock!

I went along to the Scottish Quilt Championships yesterday to see how my entries had fared in the competition. It was the first time I have entered anything like this before, and this is what I found pinned to my quilt:



I was so delighted and felt really proud of myself. I found out that the 'judges choice' certificate means that, while it was not awarded best in the show, it was that judge's personal favourite. The comment at the bottom says 'A most intriguing piece of work. Well designed'

I am more than happy with this verdict because I'm not interested in being judged on how neatly I can bind the edges, or how regular and straight my stitches are. I make the quilts as art, so it's actually very difficult, if not impossible, to judge them against the more traditional quilts in the competition.

It was quite funny listening to people standing looking at my quilt trying to figure out what it is, and when one person can see the face and the other just can't. 'Look, there's the nose, and that's the mouth' 'where? I can't see it!' 'There look'.

It's easy to see the image when the quilt is shown small, like on the screen here, but in real life you do have to stand quite far back to be able to see the image.

9 Comments:

Blogger Christian Briddon said...

Is that you in the quilt?

Well done by the way.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Liv said...

Well done Rach! That is fab. The quilt is totally brilliant so it really deserved a prize.

7:48 PM  
Blogger OboeJane said...

Wow! That's definitely better than coming second to Aunty Bridie's Basket Pattern "och now look at those wee stitches" Special.

I'm disappointed that I can no longer see the cartoon cat in the picture - when I first saw it, that was the ONLY thing I could see. Now I can't find it at all. Very distressing.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

well done - that is fantastic - how are you going to display it?
J
x

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You must be off to the US to polish your skills soon. Keep us updated on developments!

Jane (R)xx

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you!! See you on Friday x

11:56 AM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Well done you.

L x

3:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations.

6:24 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

A hearty 'WELL DONE' to you for your success. All that hard work and artistic talent has at last been recognised. Let's hear it for the quilting girl!!!! Congratulations xxx

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters