Monday, November 19, 2007

I think you'll find it's a sewing computer.

My lovely new sewing machine arrived on Friday. The big difference between the new one and my old one (apart from the price) is that it is referred to, not as a sewing machine, but as a ‘Sewing Computer’. This is because it is a highly sophisticated piece of computerised equipment, and I won’t hear a word said otherwise.



Naturally Nick fell about laughing when I showed him the terminology in the manual. ‘But it is computerised!’ I protested. ‘It sews by itself, and it’s got a little screen and flashing LEDs and everything.’
‘Darling, most home appliances are computerised these days,’ Nick said, ‘even our toaster. You don’t call that a Bread Computer do you?’

Pah! Home appliance indeed.

Later that evening I was chatting on the phone to my Dad and he said (with far to much glee and cheekiness for my liking) that he had been in Aldi and had seen a sewing machine that was £49.99, and wouldn’t I prefer 20 of those instead of 1 of mine?

They can laugh all they want, I don’t care. It is an absolute dream to sew with. I love it. If Dad had his way I would be using this:

3 Comments:

Blogger TB said...

Rach, It's beautiful to behold, and I just know that with the stitch regulator, it is so fantastic. But I must ask a question. As I was fighting my urge to resist free-motion stitching yesterday, I thought, "I need a new Bernina, with a stitch regulator". But then I thought, "No, I can't to that, it's cheating! I must learn to do this well myself." So my question to you is this: Do you feel that with the SR you are cheating? I have to know, because I so would like to have even stitches that I'm not ashamed to have everyone see. As you mentioned in your comment to me today, even though I resist FMS, once I begin doing it, I love it. I think that I allow too much lapse between projects using FMS. I met a woman recently who, believe it or not, does ALL of her sewing--even quilt seams--with FMS. She, too, has a Bernina SR and loves it. OK, enough, this comment is becoming rather long! One more thing. I love the story about your Dad's response to the new Bernina, and I think that you and he had the same sense of humor! :)

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the Aldi. It said it had 24 programs, so it must have been a sewing computer as well.

Dad

10:28 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Rach - as you know from my sporadic comments on this blog, I am in awe of quilters and in particular free stitching.
So I decided that when I needed to get a new machine that I would get this very one.I began putting a percentage of all my textile sales into a fund and bought my Bernina a couple of months ago.
I've been so busy sewing up everyday things for my webshop that I haven't even begun to see what it can do but so far ithas way exceeded my expectiations. I love, love, love it
You created marvellous things on your old machine - can't wait to see what you will do with this one.
J
x

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters