Saturday, December 15, 2007

A good day in my new studio

My studio is finally finished and fully functioning. Yesterday we put up the final bit of furniture: a fabric storage unit with cutting table on top. (that's the Royal 'We'. Nick built it. I stood and watched helplessly, handing him wooden dowels periodically and offering snippets of advice.)


Getting this lovely big surface to cut on has meant that at last I could work on my huge piece that was started in Ohio. It is 7 ft square. I've worked all day and managed to get the whole quilt top pieced together ready for assembling and quilting.


On the whole I am happy with it. There are a few sections that aren't quite right. It could have done with further work by cutting into it more and adding more circle fragments, but frankly I am just pleased to have got this far. It is by far the most complicated piece I have ever made, both in compositional terms and in the construction. Sewing curves and keeping it all flat ain't as easy as it looks!

When I had finished the bulls eye quilt top I decided to have an experiment to see what I could come up with. After 2 hours of happy play with acrylic paint, string and a roller I ended up with this:


It's very different to what I usually make and I'm quite intrigued by the possibilities. I like the idea of painting a regular(ish) grid and then cutting it up and restructuring it to make everything slip.

2 Comments:

Blogger TB said...

Hey Rach! It's great to see the piece you started at Nancy Crow's barn! This is the very first time that I've seen something familiar on someone else's website. What a strange feeling.

The studio looks inviting, and I'm sooo envious! I'm happy for you that you're getting your environs set up for the great things you're doing.

That new piece is very interesting. I like it as it is already, so it will be interesting to see where you go with it. Keep posting your progress with it, please!

2:56 AM  
Blogger TB said...

One more thing, Rach. When I show others my "slide show" from the NC workshop, your piece--the bulls eye--gets a lot of compliments. Thought I should pass this information on to you!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters