Saturday, January 12, 2008

Interesting Phenomenon no.11

Largely inaccurate, unsubstantiated yet long held childhood beliefs - we all have them I'm sure. I was musing on this as, standing at a safe distance, I brewed my porridge in the microwave.

I do this because, as a child, I was told by my mother that if I peered into the window at the rotating food, my brain would be cooked by escaping microwaves. As an adult I still feel a stab of guilt when I press my face to the glass to check if my hot chocolate is overflowing like a miniature volcano. I look, then pull back, just in case my Mother was right after all.

Do you have any childhood beliefs you know are silly but can't quite shake off?

To contemplate my other interesting phenomena, click here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liv said...

I have the same phobia - I was told the same thing!!!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I've hundreds thanks to my Dad's sense of humour, I still scrub my hands after breaking egg shells so I don't get warts though! Mum has also told me to not be in the same room as the microwave whilst pregnant as it damages the baby! Bless her!

6:49 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Interesting Phenomenon #12. I am SURE that minutes ago, I read your blog entry having to do with Phenomenon 10 (or maybe 9), and I actually posted a comment. However, minutes later when I reaccessed the blog, #10 and #9 are gone! Did I make that happen? OMG, what's going on? Am I nuts?

1:18 PM  
Blogger TB said...

OK, I've restored my sanity by realizing that I must have gone to the lower-numbered phenomenons in the "click here" link without realizing that I had moved to another link. Whew!

1:20 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

My dad told me that his work van (which he sold) had been stolen by the 'three merry lads'. I believed him until I was about 25. My Mum also told me that if I ate my bogies I would grow a bogey tree in my tummy which would grow huge and come out of my mouth - then everyone would know that I was a bogey eater...someone ring social services!!!!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters