Monday, January 07, 2008

Party Stress

Christmas and New Year were great this year. We had lots of family staying. We also had a Christmas party to warm our new house, literally as well as figuratively. Having 30 people round is an interesting way to raise the temperature of a cold house to normal room temperature, but not one I intend to repeat on a regular basis.

Nick and I have had quite a few parties in the past but for some reason this one really stressed me out. We had invited quite a few of our new neighbours, and all afternoon people were phoning saying sorry but they couldn’t make it for one reason or another. By 7 pm I was certain that no-one was going to turn up at all. So convinced was I that I put away most of the wine glasses I had set out, in case the few people that did come realised how unpopular I am.

In the event I needn’t have worried. The natural curiosity of people prevailed and loads turned up to have a good poke around the house. The huge vat of mulled wine I made was soon all gone, and so were the 4 huge lasagnes I made. I think it was success, but I didn’t really enjoy myself much.

Luckily for new year's eve we could relax and let Chris and Liv have the party stresses. They threw a really great party with the customary firework and sparklers at midnight. This year’s firework was called ‘The tower of Piza’ and was definitely far superior than others that were set off from the top of Crookes in Sheffield this year.

Quilting-wise I’ve had a sudden burst of the finishing bug. The holidays have given me the time to finally complete the quilting on Jane’s Birthday Quilt. I know, I know, it’s 9 months late, but you can’t rush works of art. Jane said she didn’t mind as long as it was finished before she was 31. Just the binding to do and I can post it off with a clear conscience!

I’ve also completed another quilt I’ve had on the go for months and made good inroads into the quilting on my huge bulls-eye quilt I pieced in America. Clearing out those Unfinished Objects (UFOs) from my UFO box is really cathartic and definitely a nice feeling for the new year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liv said...

I get really nervous and stressed too when I have a party. Even for our NYE party, when I knew exactly who was coming, and definitely didn't have too many glasses out (as I had none out!) I was really really nervous. Unlike you though, I did end up having a brilliant time! The nervousness usually goes away after a few people arrive (enough so that I don't look like a complete friendless loser) and I am on to my second drink. Glad to know I am not the only person who suffers the party fear, though!

1:08 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Sorry if I'm too late to say HNY in the designated time frame - but Happy New Year anyway!!!! I saw the documentary about the huge lady and I thought it was sad - she left two lovely children behind. Glad your party was a success - next time if you're stressing about numbers you could always ask me and I'l bring some people!!!!! :)

6:25 AM  
Blogger TB said...

If it helps you feel any better, I just finished the T shirt quilt for Adam and Katie, which was intended to be done by their wedding on July 14, 2007! Six months late--not too bad for a quilted gift. And the same goes for nine months--it's perfectly acceptable for such a fine, handcrafted gift.

1:27 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Hey, you're working on the bulls eye quilt! You're doing more than I have, as mine is in the very same state as when I drove in the lane from Ohio. Does it count that I've been thinking about it?

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters