Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Milo the Millipede

Sorry for the lack of posts. I’ve been busy, mainly making curtains and trying to make our sitting room habitable again.

I’ve decided I don’t like making curtains. They are just too big and my weedy arms hurt after lugging 10 meters of heavy fabric around. I chose to make them rather than buy ready made curtains because a) I wanted thermally lined super heavy warm things, b) I wanted them extra long (3.2m) draping on the floor, c) I wanted a particular fabric in a particular colour and d) I am tight.

Ready made curtains are great if the shop happens to have the exact fabric you want, and you have nice modern standard sized windows and a warm house so don’t need them interlined.

Anyway, tonight I will have attached the hooks and can hang them up. I hope and pray after all the effort they look ok and hang nicely. At the moment they are draped down the stairwell and look a bit shit.

On a totally different note, we have had a little visitor in our bath for over a week. This is Milo the Millipede in his prime.


He came up the plug hole and despite being washed down again on numerous occasions he would reappear the next day, prancing around and around the bath like he was on parade.

I named him and would check every evening to see if he was still there. Nick said this was disgusting and swore to kill him. His chosen method of insecticide was bleach, which he claimed was the nearest deadly weapon he spotted. He doused poor Milo with pine fresh Demestos and swilled him down the plug hole.

The next day Milo was back as usual, marching around the bath on his daily rounds. This time Nick covered Milo in bleach and left him there, trapped in a viscous chemical torture chamber of surface tension to suffer an appalling death. I was horrified to see Milo’s little legs contorted and millipede juice leaking out of him.

I have now got over this scene of murderous carnage and am looking forward to a nice hot bath in a millipede free bathroom.

7 Comments:

Blogger Christian Briddon said...

You could have always picked him up and put him in the garden.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

That is so cruel. I'm with Chris - put him in the garden. If you had to kill him surely you could have done so quickly and relatively painlessly by squishing him swiftly and sharply. He'd barely have noticed.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

he'd have found his way back in, the little (%*^&%

2:11 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I'm with Nick, a good soaking of bleach & get off my land! You gave it the chance to bow out gracefully, but it decided to take the piss instead!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

That is a centipede (can you tell I'm in charge of the school's nature table?).
They are good to have in the garden - a beneficial bug - so think up a C name for the next one and let him outside,
J
x

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey - you beat me to it.

You can tell, cos he's only got one pair of legs per body segment, scuttles quite fast and is a CARNIVORE.

Millipedes have LOTS of pairs of legs on each body segment, move more slowly and are VEGETARIAN.

Next time you wish to classify one, offer it some tofu and see if it turns its nose up. Uh oh - do they have noses?

12:12 AM  
Blogger The Author said...

Another vote for the 'put him in the garden' brigade. Our house is next to some woods and we get all manner of creatures in here. Nobody else can bear them so nearly every day my name is hollered, and off I go to rescue and re-locate a spider or insect. I have instigated a 'no kill' policy and all the children know about it. Woe betide them if they hurt anything while I'm around!!!! I explain to them that every creature has just as much right to their place on the planet as we have! Lecture over - tell me - did it go all gooey when you put the bleach on it?

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters