Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Scary Swans

Arriving at my car after work the other day I felt like I was in a horror movie. 4 huge swans were loitering with intent next to the driver’s door. I climbed in the car from the passenger side and revved the engine to try and get them to move out of the way.



Far from being scared they were actually encouraged by my presence and began to harass me, staring at me from close quarters with beady eyes, pecking at the window and generally freaking me out.

My rational brain was telling me they only behave like this because people feed them from their car windows, but my overactive imagination was bestowing evil motives upon these enormous birds. I was expecting more to waddle up from the loch side until I was totally surrounded by these massive and eerily silent beasts. Not content with meagre breadcrumbs they would beat me to the ground by flapping their vast wings, and peck the flesh off my bones.


Eventually I decided I couldn’t sit in the car park all night so reversed slowly out, attempting to avoid yellow webbed feet, and drove home with all flesh in tact.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liv said...

I never understand it when people say 'oh look at the lovely swans' (or similar).

Swans are evil. The end.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Gigibird said...

This would freak me. Well done for not becoming an hysterical heap....

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wimp!

11:22 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

I too would have been scared - and probably flapped my arms at them and then they would have attacked me and I would have died and been eaten. I know exactly where you're coming from with this. As scarey as swans are Geese. They actually charge at you and attack you. the best tool for fending them off is a wheelbarrow - but I don't always have mine with me :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Sandra Wyman said...

I come originally from Oxford, where I've seen a couple of swans attacking a dog (the dog had to be rescued). You were right to be scared - they're strong enough to break limbs. And Tracy I know what you mean about geese (spent part of my childhood having to constantly be rescued from them!) Well doen Rach for keeping your cool!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It amazes me that you had your camera with you ready to snap a picture of their beady eyes!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters