Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Swimming Poo

We ventured out the house this weekend to try the new local swimming pool. We should have known it would be a bad idea to go at 3.00pm on a rainy Sunday afternoon, but we braved the hoards of kids anyway and set about swimming up and down.

At the end of the second length Nick had turned around to talk to me and I suddenly spotted a poo – bobbing cheekily in the water between us. After a quick shriek and some synchronised-swimming-type backwards skulling we swan over to the attendant to inform him of the offending article.

He raised his eyes to heaven and wandered up to the deep end wielding a net on a stick. He scooped out the poo. Then he stood looking into the water frowning. By this point all swimmers were studiously avoiding that quadrant of the pool. Then he went off and came back with a huge colander on a stick and fished about again. More frowning. Next he came back armed with the big guns, a 4 foot long implement a bit like a brush that both removes small particles of floating debris from the surface and scrubs down the grills and filters at the edge of the pool. A suited supervisor was brought in to inspect the water.

We swam up and down a few more times at the other side of the pool with our mouths clamped firmly shut, then got out. It might be a while until we go back for another swim.

7 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

Urgh! I can't believe you carried on swimming in poo water!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

oooooooh, how yuck! I think I'd have jumped out straight away!

L x

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ok, the mildly antiseptic properties of all the urine in the water will have kept them safe from poobugs

1:15 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Eeew! Words fail me! but I knew I hated swimming for a good reason!

7:52 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Unsavory!

2:19 AM  
Blogger Raindrops said...

oh yuk I think I would have got out straight away. Tricia

11:51 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

Darling - you really should have your own pool :) which by the way is always that bloody cold that I would never go in it!!!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters