Monday, April 21, 2008

New quilts to show and tell

Hi y'all! I thought I'd return from my little holiday absence with news of my latest artistic exploits for your delectation. It's been ages since I posted any new quilts, but that's not to say I haven't been making them. No Sir-ee, I just haven't been photographing them!

This quilt is based on a doodle I made during a long work phone call. By the end of the conversation I had covered a whole sheet in these little patterns with black stops-ends top and bottom. Sometimes I think there is an obvious architectural influence in the pattern, and other times it looks very organic to me, like fish bones, or leaf skeletons.



I really love geometrical patterns (which is probably why I was drawn to quilt making in the first place) but I also love to cut my fabric freehand - never using a ruler - in order to make a break from the rigidity that would spoil this very simple design. Cutting and sewing fabric pieces with curves takes much much longer than straight edged pieces, but it's worth it.

I am pleased with this quilt. It's quiet and restful and simple. (and possibly a little more green than the picture shows.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like this one. It is kind of like an apartment building with blinds at the windows, but also kind of the fish bone look. Very neat!

12:07 AM  
Blogger TB said...

Rach, I love, love, love this quilt! Yes, the skeletal thing it has going is appealing. It has that strong and fragile thing at once. Keep it up, this is GREAT.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters