Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Small quilt studies

One of the things we did a lot at the Nancy Crow workshop last year was create lots of small ‘sketches’ in fabric, to test out compositions and ideas. I had never done this before but it is definitely something that suits me.

Since then I have made quite a lot of smaller studies to try out new things. Many of these are frankly pants, but the odd one or two have turned out really well and I’ve gone onto finish them into completed pieces in their own right.



This one is about 60 cm x 40cm. I have been mainly designing using line since the workshop. This was a quilt where I tried to restrict myself colour-wise in order to concentrate on the composition of the lines and the actual construction.

Unfortunately it hasn’t photographed well at all. There are tons of slivers of fabric that make up what appears to be a slab of plain green, and then really dense quilting lines in lots of shades of green thread. I guess any quiltmaker will know that photographing such a tactile, 3 dimensional media is difficult, and trying to do so in artificial light with a shaky little camera is not the best way to go about it!

Thankfully the making of small studies has paid off, and this quilt has spawned 2 other much larger ones. I will show you one of these tomorrow. Anyway, I am quite attached to this little number. It is small and unassuming, and panders to my ongoing love affair with the colour green.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the quilt! Nice work! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Robin

5:00 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Wow, Rach, this piece is awesome. I can see the sutle color variations in the darker area. I see why you like it and it's inspiring you to do more.

12:43 PM  
Blogger TB said...

The more I look at this piece, the more I like it. I liked it to begin with, but it has this growing on me thing going. I showed John both of these pieces. He is a scenic artist, so he has a good eye for these things. He loves the "sunset" piece especially. Thought I'd share this.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters