Friday, June 06, 2008

Gravity is postponed.

Anyway, so I spent a happy 2 hours last night digging up weeds and spreading my hard earned manure over the flower beds. It’s remarkable who comes to chat to you when you spend time in the front garden, even when it’s pouring with rain.

First I chatted to a well-to-do elderly lady from over the road who, after introducing herself as Mrs Neighbour, ranted for ages about the lack of respect from youngsters these days and how she didn’t like being refered to by her Christian name by people she hardly new. I got the message loud and clear, and from now on will refer to her only as MRS neighbour in a deferential manner.

Then another lady who lives opposite came out in her mac especially to tell me about her dry rot.

Neighbour: Hello! You’re an Architect so I thought you might be interested in seeing the work I’m having done on my house.
Me: (thinking: no, not really, I’m trying to dig my garden) Oh yes! Have the dry rot men started? I’ve seen the vans.
Neighbour: well, he’s taken off all the plaster and has discovered it’s spread to another whole wall, as well as the floor and kitchen walls.
Me: Oh no!
N : He has knocked down the dining room wall.
Me: You should keep it like that – have it open plan.
N: oh no, he says that it a load bearing wall,
Me: So have you got it all propped up then?
N: no no, he said it would be ok
Me: But it’s load bearing? What’s holding up the house then?
N: Dunno. The man said it would only be for 2 weeks.
Me: Hmmm. I’m not sure that gravity will hold off for two weeks.
N: He said it will be ok. Anyway, it’s half down already. Do you want to come and have a look?
Me: Erm, I’m a bit muddy and wet at the moment
N: och it’s fine, come and see.


N: (to dry rot man wielding sledge hammer) Hello, this is my friend Rachel. She’s an Architect.
Dry Rot man: (looks alarmed) are you here to do an inspection?
Me: (Standing as far back as possible and looking though the doorway) oh no no no, I’m not here on a professional basis, just to have a quick nosey. I’m not coming inside.
Dry Rot man: (looking relieved) Oh right. (swings sledge hammer and more bricks come crashing down.)
Me: (backing away)

4 Comments:

Blogger socks and stuff said...

Flippin' heck, Rachel! This is so dangerous - and I only know stuff like that from watching Sarah Beaney on telly!
Hello, by the way!
K. xx

8:10 PM  
Blogger Just Original said...

I hope you are not attached to that house or I think some serious dominoe rally effect may happening very soon (next 2 weeks).

I tidied my front garden the other night and your right lots of people make the effort to speak to you.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Vanessax

Love your blog!

7:59 AM  
Blogger The Author said...

very funny indeed!!! I would get a t-shirt printed that said "I don't want to talk to you' if I was doing my front garden!!! But that's because I'm a grumpy old sod!!!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to start writing on here???? I check it every day to no avail.... xxx

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters