Thursday, March 05, 2009

Contemplating my inevitable demise

I came across a CD in my car this morning. It was of all the music I sang with my choir Sine Nomine at the Prestiegne Festival last August. I bunged it on and found myself inexplicably crying my eyes out – Not a good idea while driving at 50 miles an hour on country roads in the snow.

The culprit was the song Sleep by Eric Whitacre. We sang it alot last year and it always brought tears to my eyes then too. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the most perfect pieces of choral music ever written. It has everything: beautiful words, fabulous stomach crunching harmonies and a line that builds to the most heart wrenching climax. I am always amazed at the power of that song to give me physical pain in the guts.

Do yourself a favour: buy it and spend 6 minutes contemplating your own mortality. Oh, and if I die prematurely then I want Sine Nomine to sing this at my funeral. And you all have to cry.

It’s what I would have wanted.



PS I haven't actually listened to this youtube clip because I don't have speakers on my work computer - I hope it's actually the right piece of music!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum put all my youth orchestra recordings onto CD for me a couple of years ago. They made me blub, too - completely inexplicably.

5:57 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

At my funeral I want them to play Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life" with the caveat that everyone must dance in the church aisles!!! I listened to this piece and it is very lovely!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters