Friday, May 01, 2009

Car Crash Miracle

I'm very happy to be writing this. I have escaped death and walked away from rolling my car without a scratch on me. My car is totalled, but it saved my life and I'm very grateful to Renault. here's what happened:


I was driving along a bendy country road.


I lost it on the corner, and over steered, hitting the bank.



The car started spinning round and flipped over onto it's side. I remember the windows smashing and seeing the grassy bank flashing right by my head.



Next thing I remember is ending up back on my wheels in the middle of the road, in shock, with the man in the blue car phoning the ambulance and the police.

I'm very lucky and can't believe that I walked away from this with only a bruise on my neck and shoulder from where the seatbelt held me in my seat when I was upside down. It's very odd that I can't remember most of what happened, but I do have a very clear vision of the cubes of glass flying in front of me and the blurry grass bank whizzing past less than a foot away from my head, and thinking to myself: This is it. I wasn't scared at the thought of being dead, but it was enough to make be blank whatever happened next.

In some respects this is very comforting. I am not a religious person at all, and this experience has affirmed my belief that when you die, you just stop being, and there is nothing to be scared of. I am comforted that, with the very real prospect of being squashed to death, I didn't feel terrified, or regretful, or anything bad at all. I just thought 'this is it' and then my mind went blank.

Oh, and I will be buying another Modus, with it's 5 start Ncap safety rating, that's for sure.

13 Comments:

Blogger Christian Briddon said...

Blimey that sounds terrible!!

Glad you are OK!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bloody hell, Rach. Just, bloody hell.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez. Glad you are OK. Sounds very nasty. Must have been frightening. I've never been in a nasty crash like that - I think it would shake me up a bit.
Modus' rock. Don't forget to tick the "innovative shopping chute" option on the replacement.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, if you're out and about before tomorrow evening, can you pick me up a lotto ticket?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Pleased you're ok ... did you spill your drink!!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rach,
So pleased to hear you aren't seriously hurt. Take it easy this weekend!
Jane x

7:49 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

SO glad you are ok! Bet you are a bit wobbly after it.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Else said...

I was glad to see you re-surface after what seemed like decades of nothingness a while back, tho' I never bothered to write and say so - but now I'm just popping in to say 'glad you're still here!' Yikes.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Ian said...

Glad to hear your ok! Jon told me what happened and showed me photos of your car. Its incredible that you walked away unhurt. You are one lucky girl.

10:11 AM  
Blogger TB said...

Glad that your car took the brunt of it, Rachel, and not you.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog has never elicited so many comments! You should do this more often!
Only joking, honest.
Dad

1:18 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

...Phew.....!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Dave B said...

God - not good! Glad to hear you walked away unharmed. Perhaps a new career as a stunt driver beckons...

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters