Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Floating block quilts

Ok, so here is a piece I made about a year ago, but only finished quilting it over the Christmas holidays. I was having issues with the time it was taking, and put out a plea for help, which was answered in this post. Well, I finally completed it!



You can probably tell it’s similar to the other floating block designs I was doing last year, like this one:



And this one.



I also made an enormous king sized bed quilt along this theme, but I sold it before taking a photo which was a bit silly. It was lovely, with purples, dusky pinks and muted oranges, and a tiny window of japanese cherry blosson fabric in the centre of each block. Reading that combination it sounds gross, but it wasn't. It was to be a wedding present for someone - I hope there is lots of action going on under it!

All these quilts use the same principle – a square with border down 2 sides which is then rotated to form interesting relationships with the neighbouring block. Of the 3 quilts I’ve made using this idea I like the Japanese one best because the fabrics are so beautiful, and the lines are all wonky. The blue and orange one has really nice dense quilting lines all over it which is the way I’ve quilted all my pieces in the last year.

4 Comments:

Blogger TB said...

I agree with you about the Japanese one, but honestly, the last one, the blue and rust one, seems more complex, more to look at. I think my favorite is the new one. I like the floating blocks, but also the ones that recede. And the narrow rust sashing (or whatever it is) is a nice surprise when found.

11:17 AM  
Blogger patty a. said...

Congrats on getting the quilt done. I love the new one! The link to the post where I sent you a pic on how I do my free motion quilting makes me feel like I do have something to contribute to others. Thanks for the props!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are all great quilts - my favourite is also the blue & rust one. These are so different from Ingliston 2007 - I hope we get a chance to see them in real life! Are they inspired by your Nancy Crow time?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

LOVE the blue and red one, could we have a mini version of that to sell in the studio please...?!

L x

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters