Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Good things come to those who blog.

I never imagined when I started this blog how it could influence my life.

2 weeks ago I was asked to represent the UK along with 4 other British artists in an international textile festival in Antwerp. The exhibition is to demonstrate the best of contemporary quilt art across various European countries.

This was an amazing surprise and honour for me. In fact I still can’t quite believe that I was chosen! The lady who is organising the work to be exhibited had seen my Self Portrait quilt in the Scottish Quilt Championships last year. After I won an award for that quilt she called me to discuss my work. She was kind enough to say that she though it one of the most original pieces she'd seen that year in all of the shows she had visited, including the huge international show in the NEC in Birmingham.

It appears she has since been following my progress on my blog (Hi Fiona!) and asked if she could take this quilt to Antwerp.



Not bad for a girl who is making it up as she goes along!

Also on the exhibiting front I will be showing a number of my pieces in a local exhibition as part of the G66 festival later this month. The exhibition is called ’Our Creative Community’ and will be show all sorts of artwork from people who live around Kirkintilloch. It runs from 17th to 26th June in the College, Southbank Rd Campus, Kirkintilloch. I have no idea what the exhibition will be like because we have only lived in Kirky since last September, but in for a penny, in for a pound as they say!

Another bloggy initiated relationship has been with Lisa at Primrose Hill Interiors. She has worked incredibly hard recently to build her new studio and open her shop. I went along on Saturday to help out during her opening day. As far as I could tell it was an unqualified success, with scores of people turning up to browse around her shop, and have tea and cake in the marquee. At many points in the day we had a queue of 4 deep at the desk waiting to buy her gorgeous products. I had such a fun day playing at shop keepers, rearranging the shelves as the stock depleted, and hopefully helping out a fairly frazzled Lisa as much as possible.

If you live too far away from her studio to visit in person you can always buy online.

Lisa will be running all sorts of courses from her studio in the future. I will be teaching a weekend beginners patchwork class. Contact Lisa to put your name down and we will be in touch to organise the dates.

I will also be teaching an art quilting workshop at Purely Patchwork in Linlithgow based around designing your own quilts using freehand cutting and piecing techniques. Should be an interesting challenge for both me and the workshop students!

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Well done Rach. I think the only thing my blog would every bring me is a lawsuit from Noel Edmunds.

2:15 PM  
Blogger TB said...

Rach, a huge, across-the-ocean, hug and kiss to you, girl! CONGRATULATIONS, I am so happy happy happy for you! And, I have to say that I'm NOT surprised that you were invited for this great honor--not in the least! Go, go, go, Rach! YES!

2:54 AM  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Thank you so much for coming up on Saturday, it was such fun, playing shops will have to be a regular occurence I think for me and you!

Speak soon,

L xx

P.S. I've been admiring your quilts every day! x

10:26 PM  
Blogger The Author said...

I'm not surprised good things have come from your blog!!! I love to read it as it makes me laugh, and it's also very interesting. I have never met you but we have links through Christian, and you feel like a nice friend! Keep up the blogging. xx

4:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rachel, it's great to hear of your quilting efforts bearing so much fruit, you really deserve it! Hope all is well in Kirky! Love, Andreas from Zurich

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters